Sunday 6 November 2011

It Grows...




In hooky news....it grows! I can not get decent lighting on the floor in this flat and there's no way I can fit it all in the picture without balancing precariously on the sofa arm....but it grows. I'm still whipping up hex's at every opportunity, I'm thinking I'll do another 4 or 5 rounds before a border and then ta-da! I am going to have to buy some more white which kind of defeats the object of stash busting but I can use the white for snowflakes closer to Christmas.






In other news....I must admit I'm not a big Halloween fan (Not exactly news!). I know I must sound all Bar Humbug but it just doesn't float my boat for a number of reasons. Guy Fawkes night is another story though! As I'm sure you know the 5th November is the night when us British don our hats and gloves and partake in a little blowing fireworks up and setting huge bonfires. I love this tradition and have very fond memories of 'bonfire night' as a child. The smell of burning wood, the sound of fireworks exploding, people laughing and chattering along and of course the sights. When I was a child the fair was always in town to coincide with bonfire night. We would wander into town to watch the fireworks display and would be greeted with the lights and music of the fair...all very exciting when you are a child. We would watch the display and then wander home where my dad would have lit a bonfire in the garden. There we would bake jacket potatoes in the fire and drink hot chocolate before retiring to bed - me and my brother would then peek out my bedroom window and watch what seemed like the world alight in the sky. Like I said the whole night brings fond memories.



After eating my ahem, burnt stew (why is it the first time I cook for my mum I burn it!?) we all donned hats and gloves and went to Poole Harbour to watch their firework display which was a lovely experience. Apart from in Disney World I have never seen  fireworks over water and it was really very pretty. The atmosphere there was brilliant, with street entertainers and the bubbling anticipation of the display. I must admit my pictures are rubbish - I've never got to grips with taking pictures in the dark! But you get the idea. After the fireworks we came back to mine and had hot chocolate with cream and marshmellows....a perfect ending to perfect evening. I really love living near my mum again and being able to do these things with her.





Right, washing to do, Asda to visit and dinner to cook......I best get on! xxx

ETA There's a linkfest going on at.....



                                                    

11 comments:

Stocki said...

It's looking fabulous Terrie! So much work and your colours are gorgeous! Are you going to straighten up the edge or do a pointy border? I'm off to have a look at your Pinterest pages :)x

**Anne** said...

Your blanket is looking wonderful and nearly finished, how exciting!! :)
Your bonfire night does sound like fun, fireworks over the water are so pretty. Being near your mum must be fantastic. Wishing you many happy times together. It's great for your kids too to have a closer relationship with their Grandma/Nana.
Have a great week,
Anne xx

Anonymous said...

Your granny blanket is sooooo... pretty. You must be very patient. It's really adorable - I love the colour scheme.

Best Regards, Kristina

Happy in red said...

Now those are great colours. What a fab blanket!
Esther.

Starsunflower Studio said...

I love the color scheme too! Wow that's a lot of work! Thanks for sharing your fireworks photos too. My son is very fond of fireworks, so they are special for us as well.

Hopped over here from ♥ Whatever You Want Wednesday #52 ♥

Chantal said...

Fabulous blanket Terrie - I love the white bordering around all of those great colours!

Lina said...

Your blanket is gorgeous!!!

Greetings from Spain!

Crunchy Momma said...

Oh, that is the blanket of my dreams!!!!! You made my morning : ) Thank you for sharing. This is my first time visiting your blog. Tricia @ crunchycatholicmomma.blogspot.com

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Awesome! It grows and it gets more fabulous with every new color added!

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Wow, the hexagon blanket is beautiful!!!

Marsha Cooper said...

It's looking great. A lot of time and work goes in to each one of the pieces to be put together.